Wednesday 6 January 2010

A Minute to Myself

I hope you'll forgive me, but I'm not going to go into detail about my christmas period. I've written it and deleted it about five times now and wayyy too much happened for me to put it into words. Besides, I don't think words could do it justice. One day. Just not now.

(I've given up smoking and my patience is low)

London is a very beautiful and snowy place at the moment and I am currently in a 'love' phase with it once again despite the fact that I have no footwear entirely suitable for navigating its icy paths (need some spikes or snow boots or something). We had to wait a bit longer than the rest of the country for the snow to arrive, and I spent lots of time on Facebook and Twitter last night enjoying everybody's updates but looking wistfully out of the window at a very dry garden. However, at about 11.30pm the snowflakes began to fall and when I woke up this morning there was a beautiful blanket of snow in the car park and garden outside my window, untouched except for a few fox trails.

I actually made it into central London today as I just had to go to SOAS and do some work on my Africa essay. Sam and I managed to put in about three hours of work until we got distracted by the increasingly heavy snowfall and gathered up our hats, scarves and gloves excitedly yelling "SNOW!!" Much to the disgust of some particularly grumpy students on the bank of desks opposite. We went out into Russell Square and walked (skidded) all the way to Covent Garden. Then we stopped to get the best type of fuel for a snow day - Crussh soup.

And I found £20 on the pavement. Result.

I love the way that snow days bring out everybody's sense of fun. OK, buses terminate miles from your house and it's bitingly cold and the pavements are slippy, but who can resist picking up a little snowball and throwing it at a neighbour or helping the local kids with their snowman? My bus kicked me off at Peckham Rye this evening and I walked all the way back to East Dulwich having conversations with people along the way. Would this happen on a normal bog-standard grey London day?

No comments:

Post a Comment