Monday 25 January 2010

Centre of....what??

So today was a struggle. My shiny new blackberry decided to play a little trick on me and disable its alarm, which made me sleep in until 9.15. This is unfortunately the time that I have to leave to be in time for a ten o'clock lecture as the bus service from East Dulwich to New Cross is not that great (TFL - take note: There are indeed Goldsmiths students living in SE22. And not just me - I met three third years who live on Lordship Lane). So I missed my Africa lecture and instead decided to accompany Ollie to the emergency room at Moorfields Eye Hospital. So it may sound a little ridiculous, but we stopped in Pret in Finsbury Square for a little spot of lunch on the way (the eye emergency is not a real 'emergency' etc) because we skipped breakfast and also because Ollie injured himself skateboarding with John Allen at the weekend and cannot far/fast enough.

Emergency rooms are all full of crazies. Groups of people sat on those little plastic chairs which are wayyyy too close together complaining about everything from the waiting time to the lack of Diet Coke in the vending machine. It all smells of generic cleaning fluid and piss. After a spending a little while there trying to read my book whilst ignoring the guy opposite me who was shouting across the room at his wife despite the fact that she was deaf, I had to leave my broken boy there to get home in time to receive some deliveries. He arrived back a few hours later feeling he had completely wasted his afternoon. I put the kettle on.

Also today I discovered from reading The Londonist website, that the actual geographical centre of London is close to Lambeth North Underground Station, which is a mere 4.6 miles from my flat. Closer than when I lived in Hampstead, Golders Green and Forest Hill. The only more 'central' flat I lived in was when I was so central I could practically smell the tulips in Russell Square. I suddenly feel as though I am not so much in the periphery as I originally thought xx

No comments:

Post a Comment