Sunday 29 November 2009

Weekend with the American

So I am totally procrastinating right now. I should in fact be writing my presentation which I have to give tomorrow morning on the subject of western psychiatry in colonial Africa. However, I am just not feeling it. I am pretty knackered to be honest, and I can't figure out whether this is tiredness through cooking, eating and drinking all day or sympathy jet-lag for Brock who passed out at around 9pm.

So this weekend was the long-awaited arrival of everybody's favourite travel buddy Brock and knowing that he had jet-lag, we thought instead of dragging him into London on a major sightseeing tour, we would have a weekend at my flat so that we could all hang out, catch-up and do nothing too energetic. Plus, it has not stopped RAINING the whole time he has been here. Sam and I went to Heathrow to meet him yesterday and took him on what must have seemed like the most complicated and ridiculous journey back to East Dulwich. There we hooked up with Ollie and Jen and trekked down to the Plough (which is where I seem to take all out-of-towners) for some London Pride, Addlestones Cider and large portions of pub-grub. Then we walked back in the rain to my flat for more drinks, some League of Gentlemen (what else?) and card games.

Today, Sam and Jen came back over to the flat and we drove up to Sainsburys for supplies before embarking on the most immense Sunday lunch I've had since I used to visit my Grandma in Devon as a child. We had olives, chips, sundried tomatoes and a cheeseboard of four different kinds of cheeses including Gruyere, Stilton, White Stilton with Apricots and Brie and crackers (Brock was amazed at how much cheaper it is to buy cheese here than in the States and went a little crazy at the cheese counter). This was followed by an enormous dinner of roast chicken (stuffed squash for the veggies), stuffing, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots, broccoli and huge amounts of gravy. If this wasn't enough to put us in a total food coma, we then had treacle tart and cream with lots of coffee before crashing out on huge floor cushions to watch Miller's Crossing and complain about how full we were.

So now Brock has crashed out, Ollie is in the living room watching Top Gear and i am curled up in bed with my laptop and Africa course reader, supposedly doing some work but actually doing this. Ooops xx

No comments:

Post a Comment