Friday 20 November 2009

The Return of Saigon Syndrome

Most of my week has been spent either drinking or recovering from the effects of drinking and therefore little time has been dedicated to doing anything vaguely productive, including writing this blog. The week has existed in a series of highs and lows, which I will attempt to explain, but you may have to bear with me as I haven't properly thought it through.

LOW: Tuesday morning I set off for work despite being decidedly unenthused by the prospect. I was running a little late due to dithering all morning, so got to London Bridge ready to hop on the tube and was faced with crowds of very angry commuters. They had shut the Northern Line. If only this meant I could have retreated back to my flat.



HIGH: After a completely shambolic day at work, I travelled down to Goldsmiths and spent the afternoon with Deric having a competition as to who could consume the most caffeine and smoke the most cigarettes in an hour sat in the very cold terrace of the Goldsmiths Cafe.

LOW: Had to sit through Medieval Monsters with a very full bladder and the caffeine shakes.

HIGH: Went to Pound a Pint at the Student Union, drank many many pints of cheap cider, laughed until my face hurt, Ollie came out and we all planned our upcoming trip to Holland. Then back to the evils for wine, menthol rollies and more trip planning.

LOW: OMG headache the following morning. I couldn't even get my head off the pillow. I suspect this was due to the rather silly combination of cider and wine which always succeeds in fucking me over. Couldn't go to Wednesday morning lecture due to said headache and the stench of booze that was seeping from my pores.

HIGH: Watched a couple of episodes of Tribe and ate leftover mexican food. Started feeling better.

LOW: Spent the day having a freak-out over my essay which I was completely happy with two days previously. When I am hungover I am not only grumpy, it appears I am also paranoid and neurotic too. Started to chain-smoke furiously despite my declaration earlier that morning that I would never let another Marlboro touch my lips again.

HIGH: Handed in essay Wednesday evening with over two hours to spare. Celebrated by going to Barry's to buy chocolate.

LOW: had to go to work on Thursday - same problems with the tube. Began to consider whether professional recluse is a viable career option.

HIGH: Free chocolate. Yay me.

LOW: I had to somehow try to make two hours worth of work last eight hours. Cue much time spend organising e-mails and trying not to fall asleep. The highlight of this day was going out to take the post.

HIGH: Met Sam in Old Street and went to Tay Do Cafe for amazing and cheap Vietnamese dinner of fried tofu with lemongrass and chilli.

LOW: Finally arrived at 93 Feet East after a long walk through Bethnal Green. It has possibly the most vile and disgusting facilities ever. Even worse than the Goldsmiths SU...if you ever conceive that to be possible.

HIGH: The band played and they were totally on fire. Everybody loved it, the manager loved it, the other bands loved it. The evening was on a real high. A glass of wine was never very far from my hand and the world was yay. Then Sam and I drunkenly stumbled back to Kennington to meet the guys at their studio for late night jams and more booze.



LOW: I woke up this morning still drunk and had to go to my Empires lecture which soon bored me into a hangover.

HIGH: Pizza with the evils for lunch and now sitting on my couch with a big cup of tea writing my blog.

So there you go. That didn't quite work out as I had planned but things very seldom do. Am having a day off from drinking as am going to Bowie it up in Islington tomorrow night. Love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment