Sunday 6 September 2009

What I Think About When I Think About Running

So today was the day of the event I have been dreading for some months: The Adidas Women's 5k Challenge.

OK so it's only 5k, but for chain-smoking, wine-swilling, cheese-eating, lazy arse me it may as well have been a marathon. I have done little training beyond a few runs around Peckham Rye and spent last night sipping Gavi from a plastic cup. I didn't even get an early night as I was farrrr too excited about reading Michael Palin's 'Pole to Pole' book that I picked up at the fete yesterday for 50p.

The great thing about this particular race is that it is meant as a fun run and has little competitive edge, so my lack of athletic prowess wasn't an issue. All types of women run and it is genuinely the taking part that counts. Whilst waiting for the race to start I chatted to a sixty-five year old Irish pensioner and a woman who was five months pregnant. Both were in great spirits and just hoping to raise as much money as they could for charity.

My chosen charity was Kidney Research UK, which is an excellent cause. My dear Grandfather suffered from chronic kidney problems in his later life and spent his last few years having dialysis three times a week. I managed to raise quite a small sum, but am pleased that it all goes towards the greater good. For more information on this charity, please visit here.

In the end, it was easier than I thought. Perhaps it was adrenaline, the thought of Grandad or just determination that got me through. I finished in 36 minutes, which although was 15 minutes slower than Jessica Ennis (who, btw looked fab) it is still something for me to be proud of. Mwah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment